Sunday, August 21, 2005

Dream comes true for Solomon striker

Wednesday, 3 August, 2005 - 8:48PM (In the Spotlight-WWW.Perth Glory.com)

Solomon Islands striker,Henry Fa'arodo, thought his career in Australia was over when the NSL finished but he is delighted to have a chance to make an impact on the A-League with Perth Glory. Here is what he had to say...



Henry keeps his eye on the ball

How long have you been living in Australia?
I moved out to Australia in early 2001 and was living in Melbourne for three years before moving to Perth at the end of 2004.

How hard has it been for you living away from home and did you know anyone out here?
It was very hard for me because it was a new environment with different cultures and new people. It took me three to four months to settle into a routine but everybody was so helpful and I have now learnt a lot.

You have played for Melbourne Knights and now Perth Glory, how would you compare the lifestyles of both states and styles of both clubs? Which have you enjoyed more?
Both states were very different but I enjoy Perth more because it is very similar to home, the weather is sunny and warm while Melbourne was cold and rainy. Perth also has a laid back culture while everything in Melbourne was more serious and fast. I enjoy the club Perth Glory because it is very professional and the crowd is so passionate.

What made you decide to leave the Solomon Islands for Australia?
I decided to leave home because I wanted to go a step further in life and extend my career. I was told that I could go very far with my talent and the standard of football in Solomon Islands was poor with no professionalism. I wanted to make a living from soccer.

What have been some of the biggest achievements of your career so far?
One of the biggest achievements of my life has been moving to Australia, that was huge for me because I was one of only three players from my country to do that. I also feel proud playing for my country at all levels and playing against teams like Australia and New Zealand in qualifiers. Being able to play in the new A-league has also been big for me.

Do you sometimes consider moving back home because of family and friends or are you settled now here in Australia?
I have settled down now in Australia and am enjoying my time out here. My family is very supportive of my decisions regarding my career and at the end of the day once I finish playing football, I will return home to my family.

What are your future goals now with Perth Glory and can you see yourself here long term?
Well I have only been signed for one season with an option of another but I hope to extend my playing time here in the A-League and hopefully with Glory.


Henry is preparing to give it his all in the Hyundai A-League

What are your future goals career wise, what more do you want to achieve?
I would like to go further, hopefully playing in Europe, but at the moment I want to use the A-League as a stepping stone to pursuing a contract in Europe in the future.

What are the major differences in lifestyles of Australia & Solomon Islands?
The lifestyles are very different, at home the attitude towards life is much more relaxed and laid back but the money is very low over there and not very professional. I've benefited moving to Australia though and so has my family.

What do you think you have to offer to Perth Glory and their passionate supporters?
I have a lot to show the club, I can't wait until the season starts and the buzz of the crowd. I'm going to give it my all, 110%.

How would you describe playing for your country?
Its definitely been one of the biggest and best feelings playing in front of all the supporters and being loved and cheered by all my country.

How hard was it for you with the long break between the NSL and the A-league? Did you fear the possibility of not being signed?
The long break was very difficult for me because I went and played state league and was not sure whether I would be signed in the new league. It was a dream to be signed though because it was an anxious wait.

Do you intend to continue your career in Australia? What are your ambitions after football?
After my career in soccer has finished, I will possibly hope to take up some studying in the area of architecture and graphics because that always had interested me. But for now my focus is on playing football.


Henry Fa'arodo stays focused ahead of the Hyundai A-League season

What are your hobbies away from playing football?
Just enjoying the relaxed Australian lifestyle, hanging out with friends and I've been enjoying going to the movies.

Do you have any partners or close friends here in Western Australia?
Yes I am very close with all the players mainly Daniel Vasilevski and Ante Kovacevic who I live with but I have also met some Solomon Islands boys and their families which makes things a lot easier.

Are you looking forward to the Oceania World Cup Qualifiers and does it become frustrating playing for a country, which has struggled, to record wins?
I can't wait until the World Cup qualifiers because of the chance to play for my country. Yes it is very frustrating over time because we are so up and down with our results and would like to put on a better performance against teams but that shows how unprofessional the island countries are with resources.

What would be your message to the people back home about how you're going over here in Perth?
I'm really enjoying life at the moment because I've made a lot of friends at the club and the coach, players and administration have looked after me very well. To me it is just like home with the weather and people and this year I'm going to give it my best for my club and country. Its great to have a supportive country and family so interested in how my career is going. I miss everybody back home and I will see everyone soon.

No comments: